Thursday, July 23, 2009

Module 19

Overall I think WS200 was very interesting. Many of the topics discussed reaffirmed my own values or made me rethink my position. For example, one idea that got challenged involved relationships:

I no longer believe in committee-like approach in families. Instead, implicit positions should be given to a member depending on their experience in the respective area. This is a very ideal concept, and consistent execution would be difficult.

Unfortunately an online class is unable to offer the same kind of interaction a classroom does. And while I enjoyed the course in its present form, I would have rather of conducted discussions in person rather than over a message board. The message board, in theory, would have allowed for more in depth discussions since people could research a topic further and present their findings or argue the positions of others. A classroom does not provide this; however, response is immediate. Also, topics must be tabled whenever a new one is presented. This does not happen on the discussion board since threads can run simultaneously and allow for the discussion of multiple topics.

The road to equality is a long one. Most changes will be so subtle that progress will not be apparent until it is analyzed years from the moment it happened. I live by what I believe to be right, and though not as effective as dedicating my life to changing a cause, I hope the affect on people is small enough to help the cause. Gender equality is not a small issue, and I applaud those who dedicate their lives for change. Some problems I see in the future involve nations that do not share the same vision of equality as most western nations would. Changing those values could be constituted as an attack on their culture, but where does one draw the line?

1 comment:

  1. Darren -
    I agree that the message board isn't optimal. What do you think if I required all students to "friend" each other on Facebook and have the discussions in a class group there? I know it won't completely solve the interaction problem, but it may personalize stuff a bit more. Feel free to email/call/stop by if you have suggestions for improving the class. Thanks so much for your participation!

    ReplyDelete