The privilege presentation made me appreciate my standing in society. While I may not be a middle class white male, I am in a position where I can afford a higher education and decent paying job upon graduation.
Privilege -- advantages people have by virtue of their status or position in society -- reminded me of my favorite between human society and the animal kingdom. No one or no creature gets to determine his or her features at birth. If they had their choice, the world would run rampant with super beings. I can't speak for nature personally, but it seems to operate on a type of organized chaos. As one moves from tier to tier, one is likely to find a decrease in tier elements, but an increase in power. An example in human society:
There are many poor people throughout the world; there are less middle class people than poor people; there are less rich people than middle class and poor people combined.
The apex is the most desired place to be in society. With the exception of people actually making the American Dream come true, most of these individuals gained these rights through birth only.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to agree with you. I feel that a lot of people that are rich, were born into wealth. Sure, there are people like Bill Gates who worked hard to earn his money, but there are also people who were born to wealthy parents and inherited the family company or something like that. I think privilege can definitely be expanded to include class birth rights.
ReplyDelete