Saturday, June 27, 2009

Module 5

The Selective Service System requires all males between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five to register for the draft. At times I find it trifling to feel frustrated from women being excluded from registering, yet maintain (for the most part anyway) the same rights as I do. Although I understand the reasonings behind the decision, I feel their participation should be required based on what my idea of feminism is. Barring them for their own safety makes me wonder how secure in my beliefs I really am.

Maybe I am not ready to fully accept my idea of total equality. I think at the moment, the best I could settle for would be a compromise: women may voluntarily sign up for the draft, or compulsive service would not be required on the front lines. Sometimes I read reports of abuse between soldiers on our own sides, and since most of these reports are true, I don't even know if we would be ready for a change like that. Countries such as Israel, though, operate much differently. They are one of the few (I don't know of any others) that conscript women. Although they may not serve the same amount of time as men, many of them are placed in the lines of enemy fire.

I believe race issues will be solved quicker than gender ever issues will. As the human race grows and intermingles, people will begin to look more like each other (pigment-wise), and with the aid of globalization, some cultures will disappear or contribute aspects into larger social entities. Sex issues, however, will not fix themselves the same way -- that will require conscious efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment